Thursday, August 28, 2014

Porch Rocker

It is a lovely evening tonight out here on the back porch.  The sun is below the mountains and the pink hue of the sky is fading.  The cows have moved on to another pasture that has lots and lots of grass.  I had such a fun day out and about and I am thinking of returning to the antique warehouse tomorrow.  I'm on a hunt for a desk.

I headed out about 10:30 and went to The Moose Cafe for lunch.  I promise you the waitress looked like Cindy Pitts!  Now Cindy, I know you read my blog from time to time, but do you have relatives up here?  She is the spittin' image of you but she is the mountain image of you.  I tried so hard to take a picture but she never turned where I could take a picture without her knowing.  Had veggies like usual today and then I went to Biltmore Park.  After that I headed back to Waynesville to go back to Robin Blu because it is such a fun store and of course if you are going out to Waynesville, one must stop at Barber's Orchard for a few necessities.  I drove all the way back to the cottage without Google Girls help.

Many years ago on a trip to Amish country south of Nashville, Dena and I with our Amish map in tow, drove through the area seeking out this and that to buy.  On the fences in front of their homes, handmade signs tell you what they sell.  When you pull into the drive they come out from house and greet you.  Well, sometimes greet would be too happy of a word, but they will sell you their products.  One home had the sign porch rocker.  Not plural but singular, porch rocker.  It might have been all the Amish poison we had consumed that day, carob covered peanuts and peanut brittle, or it could have been just a moment, but we laughed so hard about that.  I just want to be a porch rocker.  Well, I finally have a mission statement after all these years, porch rocker.  Well, I do have a real mission statement that Dena wrote for me but I will add, "and be a porch rocker" to it.

Now it is a lovely morning out on the porch.  My cow friends are in a new pasture way over yonder.  Way over wonder is a technical term used here on the farm.  Actually, there hasn't been a lot of rain the past few weeks so they needed to move the cows to a pasture with more grass.  Or maybe the cows complained about my moo-speak.  Think my plans for the day will include the antique warehouse and maybe a little walk through Biltmore Village.  Ugh, the thought of next Thursday is sneaking into my thoughts a lot because we will use that afternoon and evening getting packed up and ready to leave on Friday morning.  But, I chase out those thoughts and remain in the moment of right now.  Listening to and watching the birds, enjoying a cool breeze and contemplating my choice for breakfast.


No comments: