Friday, August 29, 2014

ABC-Antiques, Biltmore and Creamery

Good evening from the back porch.  It has been a good day, came home exhausted but a good kind of exhausted.  I got a later start to the day but still was out the door around 10:30.  My first stop was a revisit to the antique district on Swannanoa street.  First stop The Tobacco Antique Barn.  My goodness, that place is huge!  I brought my little portable fan with me today, so I was able to stay longer and pretty much go up and down every aisle.  Happily, I resisted temptation and didn't buy two things that might have made the trip home a little crowded.  Saw some great pieces there and also down the way several more stores are in another warehouse type building.  Great stuff there too.  Then because I haven't spent enough time in Barnes and Noble, I went back to the one in the mall just for a quick stop.  Hey, I was in the area, so why not?  Biltmore Village is in the neighborhood too, so after a long time looking for a parking spot, I finally got to go to La Cantina and have some Mexican food.  It was delicious!  Salsa that is worthy of overeating.  After late lunch, I walked over to the craft guild shop in Biltmore Village.  They have some of the same things as the one on the Blue Ridge Parkway and they also have different items.  It was a great place to spend some time marveling at how creative people are with materials, fabric and wood.  So while I was so close to the Biltmore itself, I decided to go hang out with the sunflowers again.  The beauty of those flowers made me think I had better have some ice cream, since I was so close to the creamery.  As always I got a black cherry waffle cone and a Diet Coke to take away some of those nasty calories.

My whole Biltmore experience was nearly ruined today as I accidently got in the middle of a group that spoke German.  I was having PTS and got the heck away from them.  Yes, I ausfarted which means exit.  I exited as far as I could from the group and beat them to the line for ice cream.  I got back to the cottage a little later than usual.  The traffic was really bad in Asheville today.  I don't think it was all the extra Aggies hanging around because by that time they should have all been on the road getting to the game tonight.

Last night in the middle of the night I got up and looked at stars.  The sky is full of twinkly lights.  It was breathtaking.  I noticed a little change in the leaves today.  There are some red and golden leaves among the lush green ones.  Signs of coming fall.

Today I had a minivan encounter of the stupid kind.  Lanes clearly marked only one lane can turn left, so the lane has a long line which Mr Minivan thought he could cut into.  Ha!  He did not know he was dealing with no retreat Nancy today and apparently there were other no retreaters in the lane.  Poor minivan, made it over finally and then drove 25 mph.

I am getting excited that Roy will be here on Saturday.  We have a house sitter for Buddy.  Yea!  It will be my first time driving in the dark on these backroads.  Well, I need learn how to do that sometime.

No comments: